Thursday, April 26, 2012

Stories from the Landscape- Part 1

Last Sunday, I went walking along the Olentangy river trail. I walked for two hours, roughly for around 9 kms. I met a couple of rabbits along the way, and some geese who hissed at me. The river was dirty grey in colour. I saw some people fishing in the river, and I assumed they were doing it for recreation. Later on, I was informed that people use the fish in their river for their consumption. Unfortunately, the river is anything but clean. It looks diseased, and it seems to be totally uncared for. And this is the state of most of the rivers everywhere too.

The Olentagy Trail
Rivers have always interested me. The banks of the rivers are the foundations of cities, and are a major reason for the building and breaking of civilizations. The existence and functioning of cities depends on water. This is one reason why I chose to study practices of water management. Though I study water management in rural areas, I am increasingly drawn towards water management in urban areas. I decided to walk along the river was to understand the drainage pattern of the river, to view the neighbourhoods that have sprung up along the river, and find out the uses of the river. I'd previously read that flooding was a common phenomenon, and a flood wall built around 10 years back has now contained the wild waters.

I began my trail from here- King Avenue and Olentangy River Road

Along the way, I came across historical markers that I used to look at from the bus, and was always curious to find out what they said, and what they marked. This is what I found:

The first road way along the Olentangy River
A steel truss was constructed across the river in 1863, and was the first roadway across the Olentangy River. In 1912 arches were built across the river, which were later to become into a bridge. 1913 saw the most devastating floods in the Olentangy and the Sciota Rivers, which destroyed the false arches built across the river. (At this point, I hadn't any clue that floods were going to become a larger part of what I was studying!) In 1999, The King Avenue bridge was rebuilt, and was the first precast-post-tensioned, field spliced, segmented arch bridge with an integral post-tensioned, high performance concrete deck. Now, I don't know what all that means, but it sure sounds impressive


First Modern Streamflow Measurement in Ohio 1892-1893
This was another first that I came across just a few steps away from the King Avenue Bridge Marker. Engineering students from the Ohio State University, in 1892 and 1893, were the first to make streamflow measurements in Ohio.


Dirtty Water!
There is an organization called FLOW (Friends of the Lower Olentangy) who undertake river clean up programs to improve the quality of the water. Sadly, the water is still murky and grey.

Stand-up Canoe Paddling
I can't make out whether he is fishing or just contemplating about life
I discovered this hidden trail

And then suddenly, from being a grey and green murky stream, the river turned wide and bigger at the confluence. The Olentangy and the Sciota Rivers meet at Downtown, and turn into a big river. I saw a lot of people fishing here, despite the water being unclean. Initially, I thought that they were indulging in some simple recreation, but on second thoughts, I realized that they were actually fishing for food. A conversation with my advisor corroborated this fact. 


The Confluence of the Olentangy and the Sciota
The Santa Maria (the most authentic replica of Christopher Columbus' Ship) is also anchored here.
The Santa Maria
About the Santa Maria
This is where the story of reading landscapes begins. After this trail, I discovered a very interesting link to the floods and a neighbourhood called Franklinton, just across the river from Downtown. Stay tuned for more!



No comments:

Post a Comment